Carla Killough McClafferty
302 Pondside Drive
White Plains, NY 10607
How to Find Amazing Primary Sources Online
This program has not yet been evaluated.
Education: Grade(s) 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, Adult LearnersPublic Library: Library Patrons Content Providers: Content Providers
No maximum. However, smaller groups will allow the participants to receive more interaction with the author.
Social Studies/History, Technology/Information Science, Literacy, Writing, Reading, Problem Solving
Working with primary sources is a great way to sharpen critical thinking skills. Chances are no matter what topic you are researching, the Library of Congress (LOC) has a primary source that will enhance the experience. In this session, we will discuss how to search the LOC collections to find a wide variety of items available online including photographs, sheet music, baseball cards, letters, historic documents and more. We will select a few primary sources documents to use as examples. During this interactive session, together we will consider and discuss the documents which will demonstrate to students how they can master the skill of analyzing primary source documents—and enjoy the process.
1. We will begin with a discussion about primary sources. What they are, what they are not, why they are important to researchers.
2. We will discuss how a researcher judges the quality of the material. For example, using facts from the NASA web site rather than a blog written by a hobbyist with a telescope.
3. We will discuss the role of the Library of Congress and consider the wide variety of material available on their web site.
4. We will choose a variety of documents to study such as a map, a photograph, a letter, and a document. Using the skills of critical thinking and observation, we will analyze the primary source.
5. Considering our analysis of these documents, we will discuss what the next steps in research should be. We will find out what we learned and what more we need to learn. We will brainstorm about ways to use our results in a research project.
1. The participant will gain knowledge about the role of the Library of Congress, and how to find primary sources in its vast collections.
2. The participant will learn how to analyze primary source documents in a way that is super simple.
3. The participant will learn critical thinking skills that will allow them to become better researchers.
Technology Productivity Tools , Technology Communications Tools , Technology Research Tools , Technology Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Tools
The author will adjust each program to fit the needs of each state’s standards.
1 hour for grades 4 through 12 preferred, but will fit it to your schedule if necessary
By Request: $300.00
By Request Premium: $270.00
The price is per site. iNK Think Tank will invoice and collect the fee.
We make every effort to rebook. However, a last minute cancellation, with less than a two day notice will incur a $100.00 kill fee.
Request this Program Now
Videoconference - H.323 (Polycom, Cisco/Tandberg, LifeSize, etc...) Videoconference – Webcam/desktop (Zoom, Skype, iChat, FieldTripZoom, Vidyo, Movi/Jabber, Blue Jeans, etc...)
For additional assistance, phone 502-409-9777.