View a Collaboration
Design an Experiment on Forces
Cypress Fairbanks School District
Education: K-12 School
Objective: Students (9-11 yr. olds) will design an experiment to test the effect of force on an object such as a push or a pull, gravity, friction, or magnetism.
Week of Feb. 15-19th Each class designs an experiment.
This should include
• The research question that you want your partner class to investigate. This should be related to either push, pull, gravity, friction or magnetism. Choose one.
• A detailed and specific list of materials needed. Please use materials that will be easily accessible to your partner class.
• A detailed and specific procedure for the other class to follow
Please exchange experiments by Friday, Feb. 19th.
Week of Feb. 22nd-26th Each class completes their partner class’s experiment and provides them feedback.
Feedback should include
• A Claim or Conclusion which states the results of your experiment
• Evidence to support your claim- the data your class collected while doing the experiment.
• Reasoning- students should connect the experiment to established scientific principles about forces.
• Comments/Suggestions about what parts of the investigation were well written and easy to understand and what parts might need more detail. Also, suggestions about how this experiment might be improved or expanded upon.
Please provide feedback by Friday, Feb. 26th.
If you would like to take this a step further, you could have your students Skype to meet each other and share feedback. The students would really enjoy meeting each other and this step could help to build acceptance and understanding between nations.
Contact me at Rhoda.email@example.com if your class is interested in participating.
February 2016 - February 2016
Education: Grade(s): 4, 5
Videoconference – Webcam/desktop (Zoom, Skype, iChat, FieldTripZoom, Vidyo, Movi/Jabber, Blue Jeans, etc...) email